Don’t Get It Twisted: Americans Have Pretzel-Eating Rituals
New survey data from SUPERPRETZEL Soft Pretzels reveals that many Americans save the knot for last
A recent national survey conducted by SUPERPRETZEL, the nation’s #1 soft pretzel, showed that Americans have serious habits when it comes to pretzel consumption.
When it comes to pretzel toppings:
- 65%, of consumers eat the curves of a soft pretzel first and save the knot for last.
- 28% prefer cheese
- 17% like mustard or chocolate
- 13% prefer to eat their soft pretzels plain
- 2% like to dip or top their pretzel with another sweet or savory food item, such as cinnamon, icing, peanut butter or marinara sauce.
- Men are more likely than women to prefer chocolate.
“Regardless of how people choose to eat their soft pretzels, one thing is for sure, they can’t get enough of this snacking staple,” said Alissa Davis, vice president of marketing for J&J Snack Foods Corp. “Whether dipping a traditional SUPERPRETZEL Soft Pretzel in cheese or indulging in our SUPERPRETZEL PretzelDogs with a side of ketchup and mustard, we encourage our fellow pretzel lovers nationwide to join in this tasty celebration!“
The online survey, which was conducted among 2,012 adults, sheds some light on the dipping versus topping debate. When eating soft pretzels, 69 percent prefer them dipped, while 31 percent prefer their pretzels topped. It also found that some groups are more adventurous when it comes to eating their soft pretzels. Interestingly, those who do bendy exercises, like yoga, Pilates, gymnastics and dance, are more likely than those who do not to be a bit more adventurous with their soft pretzel by trying new flavors or toppings.