99designs Launches Comprehensive, End-to-End Book Design Solution for Self-Publishers
Company’s solution poised to leverage exploding growth in self-publishing market, building on initial success in custom book cover design and illustration services
Building on its early success in helping thousands of authors get best-seller-worthy custom book cover design and illustrations, online graphic design platform 99designs has launched a comprehensive, end-to-end book design solution for the self-publisher. The 99designs book solution is poised to support over 625,000 new independent titles published annually in an industry that saw explosive growth of 375 percent between 2010 and 2015*.
Self-publishing authors can now get their ebook or print book professionally designed end-to-end, quickly and easily in one place via 99designs. The end-to-end solution includes:
- A visually-intuitive creative brief highly tailored to support different genres and book types such as hardback, paperback, and digital
- The opportunity to have dozens of designers create custom book cover designs and, if needed, custom illustrations for self-publishers to choose from
- Interior book design and typesetting services staffed by hundreds of designers certified for IngramSpark, CreateSpace and other self-publishing platforms
- A cost calculator to help with estimating the total cost of self-publishing a book
Unlike working with a single designer where the author might get just a few designs to choose from, historically 99designs gave self-publishers the unique ability to work with many expert designers at one time. With this new solution, the self-publisher now gets the variety they desire as well as a more intuitive and tailored way to get that variety, the added capability to design the book’s interior, and practical tools to get their book on the shelf.
“With over a million new books published each year** – standing out in the crowd as an author is critical. In fact, a recent test we ran showed a book cover designed through 99designs can increase reader interest by a whopping 51 percent or more, validating the power of our solution,” explained 99designs CEO Patrick Llewellyn. “99designs can now fully serve the design needs of the self-publisher seeking a custom book design to help them stand-out on the shelf.”
Book design customers start their design project via the following three-step process:
- Filling out a simple and visually intuitive creative brief outlining their specific needs and preferences, and choosing a budget for the project.
- A customer receives dozens of design options from vetted, professional designers, and provides feedback to these designers to guide the process.
- Seven days later, a customer chooses from a group of finalists and chooses their favorite.
Once a customer selects his winning book cover design, the winning designer delivers the final, production-ready files to be sent to a printer or to be submitted to an online publishing platform (or both). Specifically, the designer will deliver a production-ready Adobe Illustrator file, Adobe Photoshop file, PDF file or EPS file. The designer will also supply visual mockups in PNG or JPG format for use on the web and authors are also provided with the full legal copyright on all designs.
… write more …