March 27 is Spanish Paella Day.
Celebrate this unofficial holiday by cooking this rice and saffron dish.
Paella is typically a Spanish dish that is thought to have originated in the Valencia region of Spain made with rice and saffron. This recipe twist replaces rice with cauliflower for a low-carbohydrate, healthy Paella.
Cauliflower Rice Paella with Chicken and Seafood
Prep: 35 minutes
4 cups roughly chopped cauliflower (about 1 medium head)
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups
- Pulse cauliflower in a blender until reduced to rice-like pieces, working in batches as needed. Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. turmeric, 1/2 tsp. paprika, and 1/8 tsp. thyme. Mix well.
- Bring a large pot (with a lid) sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Season chicken with 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes per side, until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board.
- Remove pot from heat; clean, if needed. Re-spray, and bring to medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook and stir until veggies have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cayenne pepper, and remaining 1/2 tsp. turmeric, 1/2 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper, and 1/8 tsp. thyme. Cook and stir until tomatoes have softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, peas, broth, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop chicken.
- Add shrimp, scallops, and chopped chicken. Cook and stir until seafood is fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and stir. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.